Information for Parents
The Center for Student Success at 54 Pleasant Street/“Buoy House” provides academic support to all students. Please encourage your new student to use these FREE center services:
Quiet Individual and Group Study Areas:
- 24-hour study center in a secure location (student ID card enables after-hours entry), with meeting tables for group work, carrels for evening study in a non-distracting environment, and the Scheel Lounge for relaxing and recharging.
Regularly Scheduled Help:
- Afternoon math and physics help led by faculty tutors, Monday – Thursday
- Evening math and physics help led by experienced peer-tutors, Sunday – Thursday
- Writing Center led by trained peer consultants, Sunday – Thursday evenings.
Check tutoring.mma.edu for hours and other options. The Academy also offers help sessions for nautical science and engineering courses.
- Walk-in help for study skills, organization, and note taking strategies.
- Accessibility Services Office. Visit accessibility.mma.edu for more information about accommodation for learning differences and disabilities.
- Individual peer tutors for virtually all subjects. Contact: Lynn Mosher, MMA Tutoring Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org; 326-2473/2511.
- Employment for students as peer tutors.
Advice To Share With Your Student
- Organize course materials by class and date.
- Buy/bring to college a stapler, hole punch, and binder, or other organizational system, to file course handouts.
- Do the course readings – instructors assign these for a reason!
- Use the MMA calendar/organizer/Student Handbook to record dates and deadlines for tests and assignments (you will receive one in August)
Learn to use the calendar feature of your email system or phone app to set automatic reminders.
- Each instructor has office hours, which are in the College Directory: mainemaritime.edu/about-mma/campus-directory/ (Search for the instructor, then select “more info”) If you do not have the same hours free, ask the instructor for an appointment.
- All new students receive mid-semester grades by Oct. 14 (fall semester) and March 3 (spring semester) on the Academy portal, mymma.mma.edu
- Students have until October 21 (fall semester) and March 17 (spring semester) to withdraw from a full-semester course.
- Keep track of your course progress and know what your test scores mean (ask the instructor if you do not – many use different grading systems!).
- Some instructors maintain course pages, to post assignment and test grades, at: mma.instructure.com
- Seek academic help as soon as needed! We’re here to help!