75 YEARS OF GROWTH
Maine Maritime Academy celebrated the 75th anniversary of its founding in 2016. To continue the Academy’s success through the next 75 years, we, the Board of Trustees of Maine Maritime Academy, put forward this plan to capitalize upon current opportunities and to navigate through the obstacles that we may encounter in the years ahead.
This is our commitment to the future of Maine Maritime Academy, to put in place a process management system that is guided by a thoughtful strategic approach ensuring that the Academy moves from strength to strength. Our approach will be to continuously evaluate the progress we are achieving and goals we are reaching, much as a navigator assesses a vessel’s position. This is how we envision meeting the needs of the MMA students of tomorrow.
THEMATIC GOALS / STRATEGIC THINKING
Four themes emerged in the course of our work to develop this plan. These themes will serve as strategic goals, a suite of measures that will maximize the college’s potential. These four strategic goals and the attendant objectives and action plans will help to guide the college and its leaders over the next 75 years and beyond.
Development of this pathway towards the future has been a collaborative endeavor, gaining benefit from the best efforts of many people within the Academy community. This strategic plan, this pathway forward, is our navigational course towards the future and was adopted by the MMA Board of Trustees in February of 2014.
Like any plot laid down to chart a course, our position must be periodically checked and our progress assessed. What follows represents Maine Maritime Academy’s strategic process to achieve our goals and ensure a bright future.
MISSION FOR THE FUTURE
Marine and Related programs provide the focus at Maine Maritime Academy. Our mission is to provide a quality education. The curriculum will empower students to take leadership roles, encourage rigorous self-discipline, promote curiosity, and provide graduates with the skills, ethics, and knowledge needed to succeed in the global economy.
VISION FOR THE FUTURE
We share a vision that Maine Maritime Academy will provide the best marine and related education of any small college.
At Maine Maritime Academy, we have adopted a process engineering approach to the development and management of strategic planning.
Static plans that sit on the shelf serve no purpose. We have adopted a process engineering approach to our planning that will continuously review, as part of an ongoing cycle of planning, programming, budgeting and execution, where we stand relative to our goals. On an ongoing basis we will validate the plans that guide us and will modify our approach as necessary in order to ensure continuous improvement.
- Offer our Students a variety of learning experiences on our campus, our training vessels, in the maritime industry, and around the world.
- Maximize our extraordinary waterfront, vessels, and training ship to provide the hands-on, experiential, ocean-oriented and career-focused education that is so highly valued.
- Retain and enhance the positive aspects of a small college environment, experience, and education.
- Celebrate the completion of the ABS building and complete other physical plant and equipment upgrades that keep us current and enhance the learning experience.
- Further our commitment to excellence in teaching by hiring, training, supporting, and retaining the very best faculty.
- Demonstrate a commitment to enhancing student life through measurable increases in the satisfaction levels of our students.
- Deepen our relationships with and continue to meet the needs of the industries that employ our students and graduates.
- Strengthen our alumni network and provide training and educational offerings of value to them.
- Generate new and expanded revenue opportunities, on and off campus, paired with strategic investments of resources and fundraising success, to allow us to keep tuition and fees affordable for Maine students.
- Have a clear brand strategy that maximizes our profile with potential students and their parents, future employers, the general public, and our legislative representatives.
- Experience increased applications for admission in all majors, including graduate, continuing education, and distance education.