Apps and E-Resources
Selected Electronic Resources for Study Help
Visit the Staff at the Buoy House for More Ideas
- All around great site with many links about study skills: http://howtostudy.org
- Schedules of academic help sessions at MMA: http://tutoring.mma.edu
- Schedules of faculty office hours (visit your instructor first for help!): https://mainemaritime.edu/about-mma/campus-directory/
- A check list to prepare and take better notes in college: https://www.niagara.edu/assets/listpage/Taking-Notes-in-a-College-Lecture-A-Checklist.pdf
- The Cornell System of note taking (an easy and highly recommended method!): http://coe.jmu.edu/learningtoolbox/cornellnotes.html
- Print your own Cornell System note paper (lined, unlined, or quadrille format, in different sizes): https://www.worksheetworks.com/miscellanea/cornell-note-taking-paper.html
- A way to reduce test anxiety: https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/college-admissions-playbook/2014/05/26/5-ways-to-reduce-anxiety-on-test-day
Some students find recording and taking notes on laptops or other devices quite useful. As a courtesy, ask the instructor’s permission if you plan to do this. Recordings are only for personal use. Instructors hold intellectual rights to lecture materials and you may not post audio or video from class to any outlet (Facebook, email, etc.) without their permission.
Note taking software – available free via MMA ’s Microsoft software agreement
- For PC and Mac computers: Microsoft OneNote (comes with the Microsoft Office 365 suite)
– Record audio and notes in the same document. See this videos (and others) for help:
“Microsoft OneNote Tutorial” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E3eC2HfQJ0&t=0s
Some students use smart pens to write notes and record lectures. We recommend the Neosmartpen system; watch the video at the site below to see it in a class setting. Even students who struggle to take notes can use the system very effectively.
- Neosmartpen, Neosmartpen RECO, and notebook system: https://www.neosmartpen.com/en/neosmartpendimo/
- Watch this video to see how the system works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAHtioedeyY
Smart phones and tablets
Smart phones and tablets also do excellent recording and can sync to note taking apps. Here are a few recording apps; many exist – find your own favorite!
- Android devices: Smart Voice Recorder https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andrwq.recorder&hl=en
- Voice recording and note pad for iOS: Audio Recorder & Voice Memos, https://apps.apple.com/us/app/audio-recorder-voice-memos/id1440401331http://luminantsoftware.com
Study planner apps (or try your electronic Outlook calendar!)
- Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac: iStudiezPro, http://istudentpro.com/
- Quizlet (all platforms and devices), http://quizlet.com
All Rights Reserved © 2023 • Web issue?