Welcome to the Maine Maritime Academy Regiment of Midshipmen Change of Command. This annual ceremony, deep in custom and tradition, serves as both the symbolic and physical transfer of authority and responsibilities from the graduating First Class Midshipmen to the Second Class Midshipmen, who will lead the Regiment from this ceremony until the following February. The transfer of leadership from one commander to their successor is conducted in a simple exchange during which the new leader states their readiness to take charge, the incumbent announces their preparation to relinquish command, the two exchange salutes, and the completion of the change of leadership is reported to the Commandant of Midshipmen.
The 2023 Change of Command will be combined with the Strategic Sealift Midshipman Program badge ceremony. Those students participating in this NROTC program will be commissioned as Naval Reserve Officers upon graduation. Today, these Midshipmen will be awarded their Strategic Sealift Officer pins.
Traditionally, the Change of Command Ceremony takes place before the entire Regiment. For 2022, the Regimental Change of Command and SSMP badge pinning will be both an in-person and livestreamed event for extended family and friends who cannot be here to witness it. The guests will include family members of the incoming and outgoing student leaders of the Regiment of Midshipmen and the SSMP students receiving their badges. The ceremony will begin with the presentation and pinning of badges for the SSMP students and then transition into the traditional Regimental Change of Command ceremony.
In-person attendance is limited to invited guests.
- RC (Regimental Commander): The senior ranking Midshipman who commands the Regiment.
- ROO (Regimental Operations Officer): Third in command of the Regiment, responsible for all operational evolutions assigned to the Regiment, and executes the function of Regimental training officer.
- Company Officers (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta): Is the ranking Midshipman who exercises the command function in the assigned company. Is responsible for all aspects of the smooth and proper functioning of the company, and for the welfare of all company Midshipmen.
- Regimental Executive Officer (RXO): Second in command of the Regiment with primary responsibility for its conduct, discipline, and military smartness. Chief Regimental staff officer.
- Cadet Master: The Cadet Master is the ranking Midshipman aboard the Training Ship.
- Cadet Chief Engineers: Ranking Midshipman Engineering Officer aboard the Training Ship.
- Regimental Adjutant: Reports to the Regimental Commander and Regimental Programs Officer. Responsible for the overall administrative management of the regiment.
- Regimental Master at Arms: Oversight of, and responsible for, mustering of Uniform Company, and scheduled Extra Duty (XD) Weekends.
- Regimental Auditor: Responsible for the overseeing of all aspects of Regimental compliance with standards and Midshipman requirements.
- Regimental Public Affairs Officer: Responsible for promoting a positive public image of the Regiment to the Academy and external community.
- Regimental Morale Officer: Primary responsibility is to maintain the overall morale of the Regiment of Midshipmen by planning and organizing events and activities to enhance their morale.
- Regimental Senior Stryker: Provides leadership in the form of guidance and oversight over the Midshipman Training Officers attached to each Company.
- Cadet Chief Mate: The Cadet Chief Mate is the second highest-ranking Midshipman aboard the Training Ship in the Deck Department.
- Cadet Relief Engineers: Second-ranking Midshipman Engineering Officer aboard the Training Ship.
- Drill Company Commander: Is the ranking Midshipman and exercises the command function in the Drill Team. Is responsible for all aspects of the smooth and proper function of the Drill Team.
- Regimental Band Master: Is the ranking Midshipman and exercises the command function in the Regimental Band. Is responsible for all aspects of the smooth and proper functioning of the Regimental Band.
The 2023 Regimental Change of Command event was held on February 20, 2023 at 5:00 p.m. (ET).
Questions or requests about disability-related access or accommodations for public events should be directed in advance of the event to MMA’s Accessibility Services at 207-326-2489 or firstname.lastname@example.org.