February 6, 2020
Dear Families of 2020 Graduates:
Your family member has finally reached the long-awaited goal of completing his or her course of study at Maine Maritime Academy and graduation day will soon be upon us. Commencement will be on Saturday, May 2, 2020 at 11 :00 a.m., in the Field House. This is a momentous occasion for your student and a special time for all of us. This letter contains schedule and logistical information about graduation weekend which will be of interest to you. Highlights are as follows: :
- • Enclosed are a schedule of events for graduation day, and a list of overnight accommodations and dining opportunities in the surrounding areas.
- Please note that because of the limited number of dining establishments in Castine, MMA Dining Services will be open for brunch from 8:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. on graduation day.
- Students will be guaranteed up to 6 tickets for family members to attend graduation. Additional tickets may be available, space permitting. Information concerning the process of obtaining tickets will be sent out to students in March.
- Students will be able to purchase graduation announcements through the Academy bookstore (207-326-9333) to send to friends and family. We have enclosed an order form for graduation announcements, as well as an order form for the graduation DVD, for your convenience.
- We will be offering the immediate families of our graduates lodging in the Curtis Hall dormitory at a nonrefundable fee of $50, for the evening before Commencement. However, with the short time span between final exams and commencement, it is not feasible for our custodial staff to clean all of the lodging rooms that are requested. Therefore, if the immediate family members of a senior wish to have accommodations in Curtis Hall on the eve of graduation, it will be the senior’s responsibility to clean the room for their families. The form to request lodging is enclosed. Please be sure to note the deadline for reserving a room.
- Questions or requests about disability-related access or accommodations for public events should be directed in advance of the event to MMA’s Accessibility Services at 207-326-2489 or email@example.com.
As many of our faculty and staff will be on campus for graduation, you will have an opportunity to reacquaint yourselves with those faculty and staff who have worked with your family member over the years, as well as a chance to meet with other students and their guests. All of us look forward to spending this special day with you and your graduate. We look forward to seeing you here!
CAPT Mark Cote, USN(Ret) PE
Acting Provost/ Academic Dean