Career Services works directly with students, faculty, and industry leaders to coordinate field experiences that support the undergraduate curriculum, contribute to personal growth and professional competency, and serve our partners in industry. Field experience courses are an integral part of a Maine Maritime Academy education and a graduation requirement for most majors.
These work experiences are a dynamic way to provide both technical and social learning opportunities, as well as practical, hands-on experience in a student’s chosen field of study. Along with this work experience comes exposure to:
- Current practices in your field of study
- Management organizations and structures
- Diverse equipment, machinery, people, and geographical locations
- The social atmosphere and its surrounding community
- Some sponsor companies are large, national and multinational companies. The primary motivations of these companies in sponsoring is to train and evaluate students in order to develop them as prospective future employees
- Field experience courses earn academic credits toward graduation
- Field experience may be an avenue for employment opportunities with sponsor companies
- Learn while you earn academic credit and a paycheck
- Typically, internships are completed during summers between academic years
All students who are preparing for the USCG unlimited-license programs are required to participate in MMA’s original field experience program, called Commercial Shipping.
Explore majors for information that directly relates to the field experience requirements for each major.