Students who meet one of the below criteria may reside off-campus:
- 21 years of age by August 31st to live off campus during the Fall semester
- 21 years of age by December 31st to live off campus during the Spring semester
- Systems major in the program’s fifth year
- Graduate Student
- 6 or more semesters of on campus living (not necessarily at MMA)
- Temporary adjustment to housing policy during the Curtis Hall renovation phase only. We will move to a 4-semester requirement for on-campus living. Students who are in their third semester now will be eligible to live off-campus in Fall 2024. We will return to the 6 semester policy or 21 year age minimum for Fall of 2026.
- Non-Traditional student (24 years of age, married, or veteran with at least 2 years of military service and an honorable discharge)
- Living at home with their immediate family (mother, father, permanent guardian) and their PRIMARY residence meets the following conditions.
- The student’s home must be within 45 miles, via traveled road (Bangor, Belfast, Ellsworth reference points) from the MMA Campus.
- When granted for students who are First-years, Sophomores or Juniors, this authorization is only in effect as long as the student is living at home (with their immediate family or guardian).
- No change of status as stated above can be made without prior approval of the Dean of Students.
- Regimental students are expected to meet with their Company Officer to discuss their requirements and to comply with all Regimental requirements such as attending morning formations (colors) or other meetings as deemed appropriate.
*Regimental First Year Students must live on campus unless they meet the Regimental Non-Traditional Requirements. Living off-campus does not exempt a Midshipman from any regimental duties or requirements. It is the responsibility of off-campus Midshipmen to keep themselves informed of any information promulgated within the regimental system such as the Plan of the Day. All training ship residency requirements for ship familiarization and cruise preparations must be satisfied. Off-campus Midshipmen who are on the watch bill, including those Midshipmen assigned as stand-bys, are in a duty status and will remain at their residence when not on watch or attending class. Otherwise, they must keep the MCDO informed of their location in the event their recall is required. Off-campus Midshipmen are required to have a working telephone and their telephone number and address on file with the Commandant’s Office.
If you do not meet any of the above criteria, but feel you have a significant reason to reside off-campus, you may complete an off-campus application on MyStudentLife. Applications can be completed at any time, and will be reviewed on a rolling basis by the Dean of Students. Deadlines apply, and fees may be applied if not met.
Please Note: Students who complete an On-Campus Housing application and sign and complete a Residential and Housing Contract in MyStudentLife, and later decide to move off-campus, must notify Residential Life by the appropriate deadline in order to avoid any administrative fees. Deadlines for cancelling housing assignments are outlined in the Housing Contract that was signed and agreed to during housing selection. For more information on housing assignment cancellation, please email email@example.com.
Off-Campus Living Resources
- MaineHousingSearch.org: Maine’s FREE rental listing service from the Maine State Housing Authority
- Pine Tree Legal Assistance: Self-help tools
- My Student Life Portal: Online portal where students submit a housing application, student of concern report, and register guests.