What is MMA Prep?
MMA Prep is an academic agreement between the Maine Community College System (MCCS) and Maine Maritime Academy (MMA) that will create a clear pathway to a Bachelor’s degree from Maine Maritime Academy for students interested in studying business, engineering, technology, science, or transportation.
The program serves students who seek admission to MMA but who have not yet met all of MMA’s rigorous academic requirements. MMA Prep is available to students at all seven of the state’s community colleges. Students who live out of state, or who attend another four-year college or university should follow the same recommended course sequences and requirements.
Where do I start?
Contact the Admissions Office at the Maine Community College of your choice to discuss your intentions. Complete the Community College application process by:
- Applying for the Liberal Studies major (Associate Degree),
- State your desire to transfer to Maine Maritime Academy after successful completion of the MMA Prep program when asked on the application to briefly explain why you wish to enroll at the community college.
- Take the writing and math ACCUPLACER Exams.
- Enroll for a minimum of one academic year (2 semesters).
- Register for a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.
- Successfully complete each course with a grade of C or better.
To confirm your participation in MMA Prep:
- Contact MMA early in the Fall semester of your MMA Prep year to reactivate your application to MMA.
- Note: For those who have never submitted an application to MMA, fill out the online application as soon as possible and send your high school transcript, test scores, and a letter of recommendation.
- After completing the first semester of MMA Prep, forward the community college transcript with first semester grades, along with a listing of second semester courses, to MMA Office of Admissions.
What classes do I take at the community college?
We recommend a sequence of courses in mathematics, laboratory science and English.
Recommended courses include:
- English Composition
- Intro. to Literature
- Creative Writing
- World Literature
- College Algebra
- College Algebra & Trigonometry
Transfer Credit Potential *
- English Composition
- Speech/Oral Communications
- Humanities Electives
- Social Science Electives
- Sciences with lab
*Courses for transfer must receive a grade equivalent of “C” or better. Course titles and numbers vary among Maine’s community colleges.
Email the Director of Admissions at Maine Maritime Academy, to clarify program requirements and transferable courses. Any departure from academic course requirements and performance expectations must be approved by the Director of Admissions, Maine Maritime Academy, or the MMA Prep agreement may be at risk of being terminated.
NOTE: It may not be possible to satisfy MMA’s unique degree requirements in less than four years.