Humanitarian Award Criteria and Process
The Alumni Association created the Humanitarian Award to honor MMA Alumni who have distinguished themselves in the spirit of the long standing maritime tradition of coming to the aid of those in distress. This award will serve to recognize the outstanding efforts of our alumni, but to also serve as an inspiration to others who may someday find themselves in a situation where their involvement may prove critical to saving the lives of others.
This award is for individuals who have distinguished themselves by meritorious participation in an act, operation, or for prolonged service of a humanitarian nature directed toward an individual or groups of individuals. Documentation must provide evidence which substantiates their participation.
- Nominee(s) shall be an individual who has graduated from Maine Maritime Academy.
- Nominee(s) who personifies the spirit of humanitarian commitment, compassion, and impartial service to assist those in need or distress.
- Examples of qualifying criteria and deeds, at sea or ashore, include:
- Direct involvement in rescue and/or lifesaving efforts
- Dedication to improving the health and well-being of others
- Significant involvement with the preparation, prevention and/or response to natural and/or man-made disasters and emergency situations.
Nominees can be recognized as a result of a specific occurrence, or be recognized for their dedication and commitment to helping others over a prolonged period of time.
- Nominations must be received in writing by the Alumni Office no later than June 30th of the calendar year.
- A description of the award and an online, form-fillable nomination will be posted on the MMA Mariners Forever – Outstanding Alumnus webpage.
- Separate letters (or online nomination forms) from at least two nominators shall be submitted that detail the nominees’ outstanding act, service or impact.
- Corroborating information, to include news reports, articles, statements, affidavits or other substantive documentation shall be included to support the nomination.
- The MMA Alumni Board of Directors reserves the right to request additional information, when deemed necessary.
Awards can be made posthumously.
An Awards Committee of MMA Alumni Board of Directors shall make the final determination on all award nominations and reserves the right to consider each nominee for a different form of recognition, if deemed appropriate.
- Class Agents and Office of Alumni Relations will request for nominations through emails, Mariner, Shipmate, social media and the Alumni website.
- A perpetual plaque will be on display with recipients’ names in the Wyman Alumni House.