Employment at MMA
Maine Maritime Academy (MMA) is a public, fully accredited college located in the quintessentially New England coastal village of Castine, Maine. The college is one of six state-supported maritime colleges in the United States. MMA is a college of engineering, management, science, and transportation with a community of approximately 950 students and 200 faculty and staff. Maine Maritime is a NCAA Division III institution that competes in the North Atlantic Conference, and is a New England Football Conference member.
MMA is a remarkable place to work and grow in a career, rich in opportunity, experiences and rewards. MMA offers a feeling of “family” that is unique. Our goal is to create and sustain a community where all are appreciated and respected for their individual and collective contributions. Our Human Resources department administers the employment process and welcomes your interest in a career with Maine Maritime. We are currently seeking to fill the following positions:
- Coordinator of Sailing Programs- Sailing Coach
- Assistant Professor of Humanities and Social Sciences – Application deadline: 1/15/18
- Assistant Professor of Marine Science – Application deadline: 11/16/17
- Assistant or Associate Professor of Oceanography– Application deadline: 11/16/17
- Admissions Counselor
- CED Ocean Survival Instructor
- Annual Fund Manager
- Assistant Professor of Engineering (Machine Shop)
- Ship’s Electrician
Applications received after the application deadline will be reviewed at the discretion of the search committee.
- Adjunct Instructors of MTO – Spring 2018
NS 135 – Small Craft Construction LAB NS 292 – Electronic Navigation NS 210 – Tanker Operations LAB NS 241 – Seamanship NS 241 – Seamanship LAB NS332 – Marine Communications LAB
- Adjunct Arts & Sciences Instructors – Spring 2018
HC 211 – Humanities II CS150 – Structured Problem Solving with Computer GE210 – World Regional Geography II HC112 – Humanities I HC232 – Management Communication HC331 – Special Topics in Humanities HC333 – Basic Drawing MD311 – Medical Person In Charge PO330 – Contemporary World Politics II PY200 – Introduction to Psychology PY210 – Human Relations and Group Dynamics HC163 – French Level I HY270 – American History 1877 – Present HC160 – Spanish Level I
- Adjunct Engineering Instructors – Spring 2018
EG234 – Power Equipment Lab EG242 – Machine Tool Practices EG252 – Machine Tool Operations I EG498 – Power Engineering Operations Capstone II Lab EN232 – Pollution Control and Remediation ET101 – Graphics ET362 – Nature and Properties of Materials Lab ET 371 – Electrical Power I Lab ET378 – Computer Applications for Power ET399 – Special Topics in Engineering Technology: Solid Modeling ET452 – Technical Communications ET492 – Marine Engineer Technology Capstone II ET 499 – Power Engineering Technology Capstone II Lab
- Adjunct Instructor – Basic Swim – Spring 2018
- Adjunct Instructor – General Physical Education – Spring 2018
- Adjunct Instructor – Massage – Spring 2018
- Campus Safety Officer
- Ocean Science Lab Instructors (2017-2018) – Spring 2018
- Assistant Coaches for 2017-2018 Academic Year
- Women’s Lacrosse
TEMPORARY SHIP POSITIONS
The following are 9-day positions needed for ship move from the GMD Shipyard in Brooklyn, NY to Maine Maritime Academy in Castine, ME, beginning in mid-December, 2017:
The following positions are needed for the 2018 sailing season:
- Schooner Bowdoin Chief Mate
- Schooner Bowdoin 2nd Mate
- Schooner Bowdoin 3rd Mate
- Schooner Bowdoin Steward
- Schooner Bowdoin Deckhand
- First Aid & CPR Instructor (pool)
- Fast Boat Rescue Instructor (pool)
- Crowd and Crisis Instructor (pool)
- VSO Instructor (pool)
- ISO ISM Instructor (pool)
- ECDIS Instructor (pool)
- IGS COW Instructor (pool)
- Radar Instructor (pool)
- Lead Fire Fighting Instructor
- Pool – Fire Fighting Instructors
- Pool – Fire Fighting Safety Officers
- Pool – EMS Rehab Officers
- Temporary, Part-Time Maintenance Assistant – Deck (Ship)
- Temporary, Part-Time Maintenance Assistant – Engine (Ship)
- Office/Clerical Pool – Temporary
- Per Diem – Utility Worker – Temp. Office Worker
- On-Call Nurse
- Math and Physics Tutors
- Deck Cadet Shipping Coordinator 2018
- Engine Cadet Shipping Coordinator 2018
- IBL Co-op Educational Experience Coordinator 2018
- MSE Field Experience I & II Coordinator 2018
- PEO Field Experience I & II Coordinator 2018
- PET Field Experience I Coordinator (CO 200) 2018
- PET Field Experience II Coordinator (CO 300) 2018
- SVO_VOT Coop Work Experience I Coordinator (CO 223) 2018
- VOT Coop Work Experience II Coordinator (CO 323) 2018
- VOT Coop Work Experience III Coordinator (CO 423) 2018
How to Apply
Interested individuals should send a cover letter, résumé, completed MMA Application*, MMA Self-Identification Form**, copies of applicable professional certifications, transcripts and/or licenses, contact information for at least three professional references, and a completed MMA Application Checklist to email@example.com .
PLEASE NOTE THAT INCOMPLETE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
In the subject line of your email, please write the full title of the position you are applying for and your name. For all faculty appointments, official college transcripts must be received prior to a formal offer being made for employment. All offers are made contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation. Individuals cruising onboard our ships are also required to undergo a pre-employment drug-screening.
*Pages 2 and 3 of the MMA Application must be signed and dated by hand or signed electronically using an electronic signature verification service. Electronic signatures, to include images of hand-written signature, will not be accepted unless so verified.
**Please do not include the MMA Self-Identification form in the same document as your application materials. You may attach it to the same email as a separate document.
For the health and wellbeing of our community, the Maine Maritime Academy campus and vessels (ashore and afloat) are smoke- and tobacco-free as of August 1, 2016.
- Smoke and Tobacco Free Campus Policy (effective 8/1/16)
Equal Employment Opportunities
The Academy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, marital status, sex, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, genetic information, or physical or mental disabilities. The Academy provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals upon request.
Women, minorities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
MMA is unable at this time to sponsor visas. We welcome foreign nationals with valid U.S. work authorization to apply.