Employment at MMA
Maine Maritime Academy (MMA) is a public, fully accredited college located in the quintessentially New England coastal village of Castine, Maine. The college is one of six state-supported maritime colleges in the United States. MMA is a college of engineering, management, science, and transportation with a community of approximately 950 students and 200 faculty and staff. Maine Maritime is a NCAA Division III institution that competes in the North Atlantic Conference, and is a New England Football Conference member.
MMA is a remarkable place to work and grow in a career, rich in opportunity, experiences and rewards. MMA offers a feeling of “family” that is unique. Our goal is to create and sustain a community where all are appreciated and respected for their individual and collective contributions. Our Human Resources department administers the employment process and welcomes your interest in a career with Maine Maritime. We are currently seeking to fill the following positions:
- Building and Grounds Maintenance Worker – Buildings
- Administrative Assistant II – Admissions
- Assistant or Associate Professor of Engineering – Marine Engineering
- Assistant or Associate Professor of Engineering – Power Engineering
- Assistant or Associate Professor of Engineering – Steam Engineering
- Assistant or Associate Professor of Engineering – Electrical Engineering
- Assistant or Associate Professor of Engineering – Automation & Environmental Engineering
- Coordinator of Sailing Programs- Sailing Coach
- Assistant Professor of Humanities and Social Sciences – Application deadline: 1/15/18
- Assistant Professor of Marine Science – Application deadline: 11/16/17
- Assistant or Associate Professor of Oceanography– Application deadline: 11/16/17
- CED Ocean Survival Instructor
- Annual Fund Manager
- Ship’s Electrician
Applications received after the application deadline will be reviewed at the discretion of the search committee.
- Temporary Part Time Carpenter
- VPDSD Instructor
- Arts & Sciences Adjunct Instructors – Spring 2018
- HC 112 – Humanities I
- Engineering Adjunct Instructors – Spring 2018
- EG 498 – Power Engineering Operations Capstone II Lab
- ET 378 – Computer Applications for Power
TEMPORARY SHIP POSITIONS
The following are 9-day positions needed for ship move from the GMD Shipyard in Brooklyn, NY to Maine Maritime Academy in Castine, ME, beginning in or around late January, 2018:
The following positions are needed for the 2018 sailing season:
- Schooner Bowdoin Chief Mate
- Schooner Bowdoin 2nd Mate
- Schooner Bowdoin 3rd Mate
- Schooner Bowdoin Steward
SUMMER TRAINING CRUISE
Temporary positions needed for 70-day cruise May 6, 2018 – July 22, 2017. Option to work only Cruise A or Cruise B. Swap from Cruise A to Cruise B to occur in Lisbon, Portugal on or around June 11, 2018.
- Sr. Training Officer – Deck
- Sr. Training Officer – Engine
- Assistant Training Officer – Deck
- Assistant Training Officer – Engine
- Supply Officer
- Watch Officer – 3rd Engineer
- Watch Officer – 3rd Mate
- First Aid & CPR Instructor (pool)
- Fast Boat Rescue Instructor (pool)
- Crowd and Crisis Instructor (pool)
- VSO Instructor (pool)
- ISO ISM Instructor (pool)
- ECDIS Instructor (pool)
- IGS COW Instructor (pool)
- Radar Instructor (pool)
- Lead Fire Fighting Instructor
- Pool – Fire Fighting Instructors
- Pool – Fire Fighting Safety Officers
- Pool – EMS Rehab Officers
- Temporary, Part-Time Maintenance Assistant – Deck (Ship)
- Temporary, Part-Time Maintenance Assistant – Engine (Ship)
- Office/Clerical Pool – Temporary
- Per Diem – Utility Worker – Temp. Office Worker
- On-Call Nurse
- Math and Physics Tutors
- Deck Cadet Shipping Coordinator 2018
- Engine Cadet Shipping Coordinator 2018
- IBL Co-op Educational Experience Coordinator 2018
- MSE Field Experience I & II Coordinator 2018
- PEO Field Experience I & II Coordinator 2018
- PET Field Experience I Coordinator (CO 200) 2018
- PET Field Experience II Coordinator (CO 300) 2018
- SVO_VOT Coop Work Experience I Coordinator (CO 223) 2018
- VOT Coop Work Experience II Coordinator (CO 323) 2018
- VOT Coop Work Experience III Coordinator (CO 423) 2018
How to Apply
Interested individuals should submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org (in the subject line of your email, please write your name and the position for which you are applying):
- Cover Letter
- Completed MMA Application*
- Copies of applicable professional certifications and/or licenses
- Unofficial copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts (faculty applicants only, unless otherwise specified)
- For all faculty appointments, official college transcripts must be received prior to a formal offer being made for employment.
- Contact information for at least three professional references
- Completed MMA Application Checklist
- MMA Self-Identification Form**
*Pages 2 and 3 of the MMA Application must be signed and dated by hand or signed electronically using an electronic signature verification service. Electronic signatures, to include images of hand-written signature, will not be accepted unless so verified.
**Please do not include the MMA Self-Identification form in the same document as your application materials. You may attach it to the same email as a separate document.
PLEASE NOTE THAT INCOMPLETE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
All offers are made contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation. Individuals cruising onboard our ships are also required to undergo a pre-employment drug-screening.
For the health and wellbeing of our community, the Maine Maritime Academy campus and vessels (ashore and afloat) are smoke- and tobacco-free as of August 1, 2016.
- Smoke and Tobacco Free Campus Policy (effective 8/1/16)
Equal Employment Opportunities
The Academy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, marital status, sex, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, genetic information, or physical or mental disabilities. The Academy provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals upon request.
Women, minorities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
MMA is unable at this time to sponsor visas. We welcome foreign nationals with valid U.S. work authorization to apply.