Captain Michael T. Perry ’60

SALEM – On November 11, 2012, Mike Perry died peacefully at his home with his wife Robbi, twin sister Maureen Nickerson and beloved dog Freckles at his side. Mike was born on November 17, 1939 in Bangor, Maine, the son of Paul Augustus Perry and Kathleen Gallison Perry. He graduated from Maine Maritime Academy in 1960 before beginning his 38 year career at sea. Lt Perry served in the US Navy in the early 1960’s and participated in the US naval blockade of Cuba during the Cuban missile crisis. He later served in a special unit of the US Naval Reserve for merchant marine officers, retiring as Commander, US Naval Reserve. Mike sailed for 35 years in the US Merchant Marine fleet, earning his USCG Unlimited Master Mariner’s license for Any Gross Tonnage Vessel Upon the Oceans in 1971. He sailed primarily with US Lines and SeaLand Services in the Pacific and North Atlantic oceans before retiring in 1998.Mike is survived by his devoted and beloved wife of 41 years, Robbi Devaurs Perry; his twin sister, Maureen Nickerson of Hanover, Mass; brother John Paul Perry (MaryEllen) of Bangor, Maine; sisters-in-law Cindi Harrison of Chandler, Arizona and Nat Perry of Bangor, Maine; and brother-in-law Walt Devaurs (Jill) of Carson City. Mike’s parents and brother James Perry predeceased. Mike leaves 9 nieces and nephews: Paul Perry (Moira), John Perry (Beth), Colleen Dahl (Bill), Bruce Perry (Stephanie), Brian Perry (Sherry), Belinda Beaulieu (Jody), Brenda Kimball (Phillip), Joe Del Monte (Brenda), and Ken Del Monte (Charity). Mike had 18 great-nieces and nephews including Sammy, Cole, Reagan and Gillian Del Monte, who filled his last years with much love, joy and laughter.

At Mike’s request his remains will be returned to the sea along the coast of Maine near Penobscot Bay after a private memorial service aboard ship. In lieu of flowers, his wife requests that donations be made to theAmerican Lung Association . For the last ten years Mike suffered from severe COPD, asbestosis and shortly before his death he was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer. Throughout this long battle he always maintained a very positive attitude and was truly one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Thanks to the caring support of the Willamette Valley Hospice, Mike was able to spend his last few days at home.

Sunset and evening star
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea…Tennyson

Published in StatesmanJournal on November 15, 2012