When considering a return to Maine Maritime Academy, it is important to understand that former students may have a difficult time gaining readmission. Our stringent academic requirements, specialized training and enrollment limits cause scheduling issues that impact many areas, including the advancement of enrolled students who are successfully progressing through their program of study.
Your resignation or failure to meet established academic or disciplinary standards has raised serious concerns as to your ability to complete MMA’s rigorous program. Even if you complete all the requirements for readmission, you may not be the strongest candidate competing for a vacancy within your major. Admission authorized by the Academic Board will be subject to space availability in the class for which admission is sought.
Favorable consideration will be based upon evaluation of the reasons for previous separation, evidence of improved academic standing, improved conduct, and increased personal maturity and willingness to accept responsibility for one’s actions.
All former students who have resigned, been disenrolled, or not been enrolled for two consecutive academic semesters, and who wish to apply for readmission, must submit an on-line application for readmission to the Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management. The application will be considered by the Readmission Board which will recommend decisions to the Provost. Further information about the readmission process is available from the Provost’s office or the Admissions office.
Students may be readmitted at the start of the fall semester, the spring semester, annual training cruise, cadet shipping, or cooperative education; however, a student planning to re-enter for a summer program may need to meet prerequisites and attend training sessions on campus and thus should consult with the office overseeing the summer program regarding such requirements. An application for readmission and all supporting documents (see below) must be received by MMA Admissions Office by the following dates for consideration:
- Fall semester – May 1
- Spring semester/Summer Term – October 15
The application must be accompanied by such additional information as required by the Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management to establish justification for favorable consideration. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure all required items are received by the Office of Admissions by the close of business EST by the deadline.
Applying for readmission requires:
- a completed application for readmission and $50 fee prior to the deadlines stated above;
- a letter of intent noting why you wish to return to Maine Maritime Academy and a brief description of what you’ve been doing since you left;
- a typed resume to include a description of what you have done during your absence. Include, for example, employment, schools attended, courses taken;
- two (2) letters of recommendation from MMA faculty members and/or administrators; *
- a letter of recommendation from a recent employer; *
- an official transcript from each school attended since last enrolled at MMA;
- confirmation from MMA’s Business office that you are in satisfactory financial standing with the Academy.
NOTE: Disciplinary dismissals may need to provide additional documentation as outlined in their dismissal letter.
Forward all materials to:
Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management
Maine Maritime Academy
Castine, ME 04420
* These items must be submitted directly to the Admissions Office by the person writing the letter of recommendation, must be on letterhead, and can be emailed to email@example.com. The letters cannot be forwarded by the applicant.
Students seeking readmission will be required to participate in a conference call with the Readmission Board at the time the application is reviewed. Once the application is complete, the Director of Admissions will contact you with specific arrangements concerning your conference call.
- Students seeking readmission who wish to change their major may indicate the desired new major on the application for readmission. Approval of major change will be considered on a space available basis. If approved, this procedure eliminates the need for the student to complete a Change of Major request after enrollment.
- Students who have attended other institutions of higher learning since their last enrollment at MMA must have an official transcript from each institution attended submitted directly to the Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management. These transcripts must be received and satisfactory performance must be indicated before approval for registration will be granted. Failure to report any schools attended will result in your application not being accepted. In cases where the courses are in progress and transcripts will not be available in time, a progress report from the course instructor(s) must be submitted. If readmitted, a student may request a transcript review to determine whether courses completed at other institutions can be transferred to MMA.
- Cooperative Education students on an official work term and also taking courses at MMA are not required to apply for readmission if they withdraw from all courses during the work term. Their enrollment status is retained as a Cooperative Education student at work.
- Students who have been dismissed as a consequence of disciplinary infractions may only be considered for readmission after a period of documented exemplary good conduct. A student who has withdrawn with judicial action pending must resolve the disciplinary issue prior to applying for readmission.
- Students who have been dismissed for academic failure will be considered only upon evidence of improved academic potential.
- Students who resign from the Maine Maritime Academy/Bath Iron Works Associate Degree programs are not subject to this policy and should consult their agreement regarding readmission.
MMA will try to meet the returning students’ course selection requests. However, pre-registration by currently enrolled students may result in desired courses being at capacity. Maine Maritime Academy cannot guarantee on-campus housing for readmitted students.
A $100 non-refundable deposit is required of all returning students to reserve their position in the class. Failure to submit the deposit by the appropriate date may result in loss of place.
All students must submit an updated physical examination as a criterion for readmission to the Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management. Depending on how long you have been out of school, you may be required to have additional immunizations. Should you have additional questions regarding your immunizations, e-mail HealthServices@mma.edu. You must satisfy all physical and immunization requirements prior to registration.
Applications for readmission by students who have been dismissed for academic reasons, took an extended medical leave, or were involuntarily withdrawn are reveiwed by the Readmission Board which is generally composed of members of the Academic Board. Several staff serve in ex-officio roles on the board, such as a the Director of Residence Life and Student Activities. The Dean of Faculty serves as chair.
Applications for readmission by students who were suspended for judicial reasons are reviewed by a subset of the Readmission Board, called the Judicial Readmission Board, composed of:
- Dean of Student Services (serves as chair)
- Commandant/Dean of Maritime Training
- Student-Athlete Affairs Coordinator
- Faculty at large representative (preferably student’s department chair)
- Dean of Faculty
The College Counselor attends the hearings as an ex-officio member.