Welcome, Class of 2025!
We are thrilled to welcome you to Maine Maritime Academy and look forward to meeting you in person soon. This year’s New Student Orientation includes both virtual and in-person opportunities for you to connect with your peers, get to know our campus, and ensure that you are ready for a successful semester this fall.
Take a moment to watch each of the four videos for important information on how to register for classes, finalize your financial aid, manage the billing cycle, and selecting a roommate!
Choosing your in-person session is part of your housing application, so be sure to complete that and choose which in-person session you’d like to attend. These sessions are optional, but we do hope you will join us on campus.
- Session 1: June 19 | 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Session 2: June 26 | 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Session 3: July 17 | 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
NSO staff will be sharing additional information about each session in the coming weeks, so please keep a close eye on your new school email.
Choose Your Adventure
As part of this year’s in-person experience, we are excited to offer an a-la-carte style activities menu for you to choose from and each in-person session will be action-packed!
Castine is particularly beautiful during the summer and so we’re hoping to take advantage of the season to introduce to all the very best of MMA: our vessels, our facilities, and our community.
While here, you will have the opportunity to meet your classmates, participate in group activities, and meet MMA staff and faculty across campus. We will be ready to show you around, help you get oriented to college life, and answer any questions you may have.
‘Choose Your Adventure’ activities information and sign up is available in the Maine Maritime Academy Mobile App.
Frequently Asked Questions
Students will be able to select their Fall 2021 check-in time via a form at MyStudentLife.mma.edu under “Housing Forms” beginning on Monday, June 14.
Your available appointment times will be based on whether you will be able to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination – those who are unable will arrive a day earlier than their peers to be checked in and receive a COVID test. They will quarantine until their COVID test results have returned the following day, with in-person interactions limited to being with only their roommate. If you require an earlier or adjusted check-in time due to traveling from out of state, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to make those arrangements. If you do not select a Fall 2021 check-in time by Friday, July 23, one will be assigned to you.
Monday, August 16: Regimental Students (unvaccinated)
Tuesday, August 17: Regimental Students (vaccinated); Regimental Preparatory training begins (all)
Friday, August 20: Independent Students (unvaccinated)
Saturday, August 21: Independent Students (vaccinated); Welcome Week activities begin (all)
Monday, August 23: Academic Orientation and Convocation (all)
Tuesday, August 24: Classes begin (all)
Fall athletes MUST be invited to pre-season by their respective coach.
Volleyball, sailing, and soccer coaches will communicate arrival dates and times directly to athletes.
Welcome aboard Midshipmen Under Guidance (MUGS)! We are proud to welcome you to Maine Maritime Academy and look forward to getting to know you over the course of your New Student Orientation. If you have questions about the following resources, please contact Anne Kowalski, CWO4, at email@example.com or 207-326-2250.
Part of getting to know MMA is getting to know our abbreviations & acronyms!
- MEO – Marine Engineering Operations
- MET – Marine Engineering Technology
- MSE – Marine Systems Engineering
- PEO – Power Engineering Technology
- PET – Power Engineering Operations
- IBL – International Business & Logistics
- MB – Marine Biology
- MS -Marine Science
- MTO – Marine Transportation Operations
- VOT – Vessel Operations and Technology
- SVO – Small Vessel Operations
1) The lowest part of a ship’s hull
2) The Curtis Hall recreational space that hosts a kitchen, TVs, Video Game Lounge, Tabletop games, board games and general lounge space
- The Main Dining Room located in Alfond Student Center
- The dining area on a ship
1) The Regiment of Midshipmen allows students to apply for nontraditional student status within the Regiment if they are: 24 years of age or older, married, or a veteran with at least 2 years of military service and an honorable discharge
2) According to the ANTSHE (Association of Nontraditional Students in Higher Education) nontraditional students may have the following characteristics: being independent for financial aid purposes, having one or more dependents, being a single caregiver, not having a traditional high school diploma, delaying postsecondary enrollment, attending school part time, and being employed full time.
A critical component to being a leader in any field is being time conscious and having the ability to manage our time effectively. Many of you are familiar measuring time in 12 hour increments, however this can often cause confusion as to AM or PM hours. For matters of convenience and clear communication you will now measure time in 24 hour increments starting at 0000 and going until 2359. All Regimental Events will be posted using the 24 hour format therefore it is critical that midshipman learn and utilize this format if they wish to be successful during their time here.
|24 Hour Cycle||12 Hour Cycle|
The IT department offers a number of services to help you with your technology needs while on campus. To learn more about these resources, please visit https://mainemaritime.edu/it-department/services-to-know/.
Questions or requests about disability-related access or accommodations can be directed to MMA’s Accessibility Services at 207-326-2489 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about MMA’s Dining Services, please visit MyDining at https://mainemaritime.sodexomyway.com/.
Get to know your peers by joining the Class of 2025 Facebook group! Along with your classmates, there are staff members in the group who can answer questions and help connect you with resources at MMA.
Questions about accessibility or requests for accommodations can be directed to MMA’s Accessibility Services at 207-326-2489 or email@example.com.