New Student Orientation 2019 – Class of 2023
Next Steps After Orientation – Important Dates and Arrival Information
You must attend ONE (1) of the two (2) New Student Orientation (NSO) sessions:
- New Student Orientation 1: June 21-22, 2019
- New Student Orientation 2: June 28-29, 2019
* Registration for NSO sessions will begin April 1, 2019. Sessions will be assigned on a first come, first served basis due to space limitations for each session. We will do our best to assign everyone to their first choice session. On-campus housing during NSO will be provided and required for students only. Family and guests are responsible for their own housing accommodations.
New Student Orientation information is available on the Maine Maritime Academy Mobile app – get the App now and tap the Orientation icon:
Check-in for New Student Orientation will occur in the Curtis Hall Courtyard at 8:00 AM on Day 1 of each session. Both sessions will be identical and offer a variety of required sessions for students to help them prepare for life at MMA. Each session will end with a closing ceremony at 2:30pm on Day 2 followed by check-out of the Residence Halls from 3:00-3:30pm. We suggest that out of state Regimental students schedule their uniform fitting on Thursday or Saturday after closing. In-state students will be able to schedule a fitting at this time if space allows.
Lodging and meals are provided during all sessions for all students. Once students have checked-in and dropped their belongings off in their room for the night, they will have the opportunity to speak with various offices from around campus during the MMA Meet and Greet session. In addition to meeting various members of our community, students will also take a Student ID photo, receive orientation swag and be able to sign up for their Waterfront activity scheduled for Friday evening!
We advise that students make sure to bring the following orientation-specific items with them.
- Linens/sheets, blanket, pillow – All beds are XL Twins. If you do not have XL Twin sheets most students bring sleeping bags or flat sheets to tuck into the bed for the night.
- Personal care products
- Alarm clock
- Small fan – Curtis Hall does not have air conditioning!
- Clothes for day 2
- Closed-toe footwear – Required for the Welcome to the Waterfront session. No sandals or open toed shoes are allowed on the Waterfront. They may get wet!
- Sweatshirt or coat – it can get cold when out on the water!
- Swimsuit – Required shorts and shirt or one-piece suits are required for the Ship Jump Training session in the pool. We suggest everyone wears a T-shirt for comfort under life preservers.
- Snacks or anything else you may need for one night on campus!
Family Involvement Opportunities
There are several optional Family Workshops built into each NSO Session. Family members who accompany their students to Castine are encouraged to attend if they wish. 2 meal tickets will be provided, per student, for their family or guests to use for lunch on Day 1. If additional guests are present, meals can be purchased at the door. Sessions end at 4:00PM on Day 1 for families and guests. Please join your student again on Saturday for the closing ceremony at 2:30PM which will be followed by check-out of the Residence Halls from 3:00-3:30pm.
MMA has limited availability for reserved overnight lodging located on-campus to families through conference services. If you are interested in reserving a room please contact Conference Services at 207-326-2283. Rooms can not be reserved until a students NSO session has been assigned. Please visit our Castine Area webpage for more information while planning your visit. Families who wish to become further involved with the campus community are encouraged to join the Maine Maritime Academy Parents Association.
Other Helpful Information
Registration for NSO sessions will be available for all deposited students starting April 1, 2019, once they have activated their student portal. Once your student portal has been activated you will be able to complete your housing application via the student gateway at mystudentlife.mma.edu. Both on and off-campus housing applications include steps to complete your NSO registration as well as various other required tasks for new students.
If you have submitted your deposit for the 2019-2020 academic year your student portal information will be created starting in March 2019 and continue through the first week of May. If you have already deposited and you do not receive your student portal information by April 1, 2019 please contact the Admissions at 207-326-2207.
Students traveling alone to NSO either by airplane or driving a distance more then 4 hours may be eligible for Thursday night accommodations and airport or bus station pick up from Bangor, ME for a fee. We suggest students plan to arrive in Bangor between 6 and 9pm to be picked up together. All students will receive an email 2-4 weeks before their session asking for final details, including dietary restrictions, guest information, and Thursday evening assistance if applicable. Please email email@example.com for more information on Thursday arrival if you are traveling to Orientation alone.
Regimental new students are required to report for Regimental Preparatory Training (RPT) on Thursday, August 15, 2019. Click here for more information.
Non-Regimental, or Independent, new students are required to report for the Independent Experience (IndEx) on Friday, August 23, 2019. Click here for more information.