Small Vessel Operations

2-Year Associate of Science Degree

The Small Vessel Operations major represents years one and two of the Vessel Operations and Technology (VOT) program. The VOT program is organized in a two-plus-two format offering a two-year Associate of Science degree in Small Vessel Operations and a four-year Bachelor of Science degree in Vessel Operations and Technology. The Vessel Operations and Technology curriculum is designed to prepare students for positions of responsibility in the operation and management of a variety of private and commercial vessels. Students in the Small Vessel Operations program pursue four academic semesters, plus a cooperative work experience during the summer following the first year, leading to an Associate of Science degree. A student completing the A.S. degree requisites and an appropriate cooperative work experience, and meeting the applicable U.S. Coast Guard requirements, may be eligible to sit for the USCG examination for a license as mate of vessels not more than 200 tons, operating in near-coastal waters, up to 200 miles offshore.

Sea Time and Cooperative Work Experiences

Students seeking the 200-ton mate’s license are required to complete 120 sea days on appropriate vessels. Sea time is acquired through laboratoires, simulation, cooperative work experiences and a 14-day training cruise aboard the schooner Bowdoin.

Auxiliary Sail Concentration

For those looking for traditional sail training opportunities, we offer an Auxilary Sail concentration. With sufficient qualifying sea time under sail, and upon successful completion of a sail addendum examination, VOT and SVO licenses can be endorsed for Auxiliary Sail.

Dynamic Careers

Depending upon your major, you may find employment as an officer aboard a merchant marine ship, a tug or barge, a harbor pilot vessel, a U.S. Coast Guard or Navy vessel, a supply or dynamic positioning vessel, or tall ship.

Participation in the Regiment is optional when enrolled in this major.

For a list of courses per year, by semester, see the Undergraduate Course Catalog.

For information on U.S. Coast Guard licenses, please visit the National Maritime Center website.