Every year that a student lives off-campus, an Off Campus Housing Application must be filed online in the Housing Gateway. All potential off-campus students must also attend an Off-Campus Living Information Meeting. Meetings are held throughout the spring semester. Students only need to attend one meeting.
Students who meet one of the below criteria may reside off-campus:
- 21 years of age by August 31st to live off campus during the Fall semester
- 21 years of age by December 31st to live off campus during the Spring semester
- Systems major in the program’s fifth year
- Graduate Student
- 6 or more semesters of on campus living (not necessarily at MMA)
- *Non-Traditional student (24 years of age, married, or veteran with at least 2 years of military service and an honorable discharge)
*Regimental Freshmen must live on campus unless they meet the Regimental Non-Traditional Requirements. Living off-campus does not exempt a Midshipman from any regimental duties or requirements. It is the responsibility of off-campus Midshipmen to keep themselves informed of any information promulgated within the regimental system such as the Plan of the Day. All training ship residency requirements for ship familiarization and cruise preparations must be satisfied. Off-campus Midshipmen who are on the watch bill, including those Midshipmen assigned as stand-bys, are in a duty status and will remain at their residence when not on watch or attending class. Otherwise they must keep the MCDO informed of their location in the event their recall is required. Off-campus Midshipmen are required to have a working telephone and their telephone number and address on file with the Commandant’s Office.
If you do not meet any of the above criteria, but feel you have a significant reason to reside off-campus, you may appeal to the Residential Housing Appeals Board, which meets once a semester. For information regarding the Housing Appeals Board, please contact Kathy Heath, Housing Appeals Board Chair and Director of Financial Aid at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Note: Students who choose to live in Curtis Hall during Housing Selection – and then – decide to move off campus must notify Residential Life by the appropriate deadline in order to avoid any administrative fees:
$200 Administrative Fee Deadlines:
Fall Semester: July 1st for Returning Students – or – 2nd week of classes for New Students
Spring Semester: Last Day of Fall Classes for Returning Students – or – 2nd week of classes for New Students
$400 Administrative Fee Deadlines:
Fall Semester: August 1st for Returning Students
Spring Semester: January 1st for Returning Students
Off-Campus Living Resources
- Off Campus Housing listings: This is a list maintained by Maine Maritime’s Department of Residential Life provided as an informational service. Please complete a Realtor/Landlord Change Form for a new, change or deleted listing and send it to Victoria.email@example.com. The list is updated on on a MONTHLY basis or when Landlords request to be removed, whichever comes first. The Academy does not find off-campus housing for students.
- MaineHousingSearch.org: Maine’s FREE rental listing service from the Maine State Housing Authority
- The Rights of Tenants in Maine: Pine Tree Legal Assistance’s Handbook gives you a quick look at Maine’s landlord-tenant laws as of December 2007
- Housing Gateway: Online gateway where students submit housing application, students of concern, complete housing inventories and register guests.