Class of 2021 New Student Orientation
You must attend ONE (1) of the three (3) New Student Orientation (NSO) sessions:
- New Student Orientation 1: June 2-3, 2017
- New Student Orientation 2: June 23-24, 2017
- New Student Orientation 3: July 7-8, 2017
* Registration for NSO sessions will begin April 1, 2017. Sessions will be assigned on a first come, first served basis due to space limitations for each session. We will do our best to assign everyone to their first choice session. On-campus housing during NSO will be provided to students only. Family and guests are responsible for their own housing accommodations.
New Student Orientation information is available on Maine Maritime Academy Mobile app – get the App now and tap the Orientation icon:
Check-in for New Student Orientation will occur in the Curtis Hall Courtyard at 8:30 AM on Day 1 of each session.
Lodging and meals are provided during all sessions for all students. Once students have checked-in and dropped their belongings off in their room for the night, they will have the opportunity to speak with various offices from around campus during the MMA Meet and Greet session. In addition to meeting various members of our community, students will also take a Student ID photo, receive orientation swag and be able to sign up for their Waterfront activity scheduled for Friday evening!
We advise that students make sure to bring the following orientation-specific items with them.
- Linens/sheets, blanket, pillow – All beds are XL Twins. If you do not have XL Twin sheets most students bring sleeping bags or flat sheets to tuck into the bed for the night.
- Personal care products
- Alarm clock
- Small fan – Curtis Hall does not have air conditioning!
- Clothes for day 2
- Closed-toe footwear – Required for the Welcome to the Waterfront session. No sandals or open toed shoes are allowed on the Waterfront. They may get wet!
- Sweatshirt or coat – it can get cold when out on the water!
- Swimsuit – Required shorts and shirt or one-piece suits are required for the Ship Jump Training session in the pool. We suggest everyone wears a T-shirt for comfort under life preservers.
- Snacks or anything else you may need for one night on campus!
Family Involvement Opportunities
There are several optional Family Workshops built into each NSO Session. Family members who accompany their students to Castine are encouraged to attend if they wish. 2 meal tickets will be provided, per student, for their family or guests to use for lunch on Day 1. If additional guests are present, meals can be purchased at the door.
MMA has limited availability for reserved overnight lodging located on-campus to families through conference services. If you are interested in reserving a room please contact Conference Services at 207-326-2283. Rooms can not be reserved until a students NSO session has been assigned. Please visit our Castine Area webpage for more information while planning your visit. Families who wish to become further involved with the campus community are encouraged to join the Maine Maritime Academy Parents Association.
Other Helpful Information
Registration for NSO sessions will be available for all deposited students starting April 1, 2017 once they have activated their student portal. Once your student portal has been activated you will be able to complete your housing application via the housing gateway at myhousing.mma.edu. Both on and off-campus housing applications include steps to complete your NSO registration as well as various other required tasks for new students.
If you have submitted your deposit for the 2017-2018 academic year your student portal information will be created starting in March 2017 and continue through the first week of May. If have already deposited and you do not receive your student portal information by April 1, 2017 please contact the Admissions at 207-326-2207.
Regimental new students are required to report for Regimental Preparatory Training (RPT) on Thursday, August 17. Please see here for more information.
Non-Regimental, or Independent, new students are required to report for the Independent Experience (index) on Friday, August 25. Please see here for more information.