We commission Navy Reserve Officers in the Strategic Sealift Officer Program following completion of a specified undergraduate course of study and attainment of an Unlimited Coast Guard License at Maine Maritime Academy.
The Strategic Sealift Officer Program is only open to students in the following majors:
- Marine Systems Engineering (License Track)
- Marine Engineering Technology
- Marine Engineering Operations
- Marine Transportation Operations
Students who are accepted into the Strategic Sealift Officer Program are eligible to receive Student Incentive Payment according to a merit based selection criteria. Qualified students awarded Student Incentive Payment by the Commanding Officer will receive $4,000 per semester for up to 8 semesters.
The minimum obligation following commissioning includes:
- Two weeks of Active Duty service each year in a merchant marine related billet for eight years
- At least 150 days per year of sailing employment on one’s Coast Guard License for three years
- Maintaining an active Coast Guard License for six years
- Remain in the Inactive Reserve for duration of eight year commitment
Once commissioned, members of the Strategic Sealift Officer Program go on to sail on their Coast Guard licenses for civilian companies and complete their Navy Reserve requirements on their own schedule.
Learn More Here (Display in Two Page View):