(contains all policies below)
Maine Maritime Academy Computing Information
Maine Maritime Academy provides a modern high-speed campus wide network to facilitate instruction and communication. This network includes Internet access, email, Campus Portal and Course Home Pages (a faculty led web based course facilitator).
- Email is provided to all MMA students for the duration of their stay.
- Wireless connectivity is available on the campus and ship.
- The Campus Portal is updated daily to keep students, faculty, alumni and family abreast of the activities and schedules at the campus.
- Course Home Pages, accessible via the Campus Portal, allow faculty to provide course information and documents electronically, allow students to submit homework electronically, enable communication with students via email as a group, provide moderated discussions and provide online testing.
- The Residential Network (ResNet) at Maine Maritime Academy provides campus residents with Internet access. The use of ResNet resources is a privilege which can be revoked if policy violations are discovered.
Network privileges are granted through the process of registering with the Campus Management system. In order to maintain network privileges users must:
- Register their computers and other devices with MMA’s access control system.
- Install, keep installed, keep updated, an Anti-Virus program.
- Keep your computer up to date with patches provided by the manufacturer of your Operating System (i.e. using Microsoft Automatic Updates).
- Regularly check your email and portal.mma.edu as they are official forms of communication.
MS Office Professional, MS Visio and MS Project Installation:
- MS Office Professional, MS Visio and MS Project are provided to all students. For e software installation, go to the IT Tech Shop in Leavitt Hall. You may be asked for proof of student status, which can be provided by simply showing your Maine Maritime Academy ID.
- While a student at MMA you will be provided with and email address.
- Our account naming convention is firstname.lastname@example.org. You can activate your account and set your password at the MMA IT Self-Service site provided here:https://secure.mma.edu/selfservice/ .
- You should download the First Class client and install it as soon as possible.
- First Class is also accessible via web interface. You can access First Class on the web here: http://fcweb.mma.edu .
- The Sea-Campus Portal is an important tool for you to use while you are a student here. You can access the Sea-Campus Portal from a link on the home page at mainemaritime.edu, or directly at portal.mma.edu. Your Sea-Campus Portal account and password are the same as your First Class credentials.
- Wireless networking is supported virtually everywhere on campus.
- Tech support for students is available from student technicians located in the IT Tech Shop in Leavitt Hall, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.
- Students may also submit a Help Desk ticket at helpdesk.mma.edu.