Environmental Regulations & Ethical Industrial Compliance
2016 Start dates: Year-round open course (self paced estimate for completion is 2 months.)
100% of EREIC completing professionals indicated the course significantly improved their awareness and knowledge of Maritime Environmental Regulations and Ethical Industrial Compliance, and were pleased with the resulting Certificate attesting to their investment in Continuing Professional Maritime Education.
TUITION: $1000 ( includes a hard copy course notebook )
- Environmental Regulations & Ethical Industrial Compliance (EREIC) is a self-paced online course awarding Four Continuing Education Units (equivalent to 40 hrs) from Maine Maritime Academy.
- EREIC is designed to educate mariners serving on United States registered vessels and those who work with them, about environmental regulations governing their industry. EREIC emphasizes environmental regulations, laws, and compliance issues for mariners working both at sea and in port, and for those in industry at the management level.
- EREIC has been revised and expanded to include relevant regulatory changes through Spring 2015.
- EREIC will develop each student’s ability to recognize and effectively deal with regulatory compliance and professional ethics issues for persons working in the U.S. Merchant Marine and associated fields.
- EREIC consists of five modules, 1-water quality, 2-air quality, 3-solid & hazardous waste, 4-pollutant health effects, and 5-legal investigations & enforcement of rules.
- EREIC lead instructor and Chair of Maine Maritime Academy’s Engineering Department Associate Professor Laurie Flood – holds a B.S. in Marine Systems Engineering from Maine Maritime Academy, an M.S. in Civil (Environmental) Engineering from the University of Maine, and a Masters in Environmental Law and Policy from Vermont Law School.
Ms. Flood developed EREIC in 2012 with grant support from the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation www.nfwf.org. Should regulatory changes occur the course will be updated accordingly.
- Online course hosting and technical support is provided by CANVAS by Instructure, the online learning management system at Maine Maritime Academy.
- *REGISTRATION, PAYMENT and ENROLLMENT PROCESS: Students must register by phone or in person with the Continuing Education office (207) 326-2211. During registration students will provide unique personal contact information plus a valid credit card number and expiration date. Personal checks and corporate Purchase orders are also accepted.
- Upon payment confirmation, a unique password/log-in for EREIC along with online course management details will be sent to each student. Allow 24-48 hours to receive log-in.
- A hard copy course manual (500 double sided pages) will be mailed to students.
- Once payment is charged, the course will not have an add/drop period and no refunds will be issued.