The mission of Maine Maritime Academy’s Department of Continuing Education is to support and enhance the careers of our alumni, current students, and colleagues working in fields related to the Academy’s major programs of study.
- Merchant Mariner license holders must contact the US Coast Guard directly for particulars concerning their licenses upgrade or re-certification questions: Call the National Maritime Center at 1-888-427-5662 or visit online at Merchant Mariner Licensing and Documentation
Registration, Tuition and *Accommodations: At the time of Course registration payments in full for tuition and on-campus accommodations (if desired) are required. Payment methods: credit card, cash or check. Wire payments must be pre-approved and will incur an added minimum $30 wire transfer fee. Cancellation fees/refund Prior to course start date: 30 days+ 100% refund, 29-15 days 50%, 14 days or fewer 0% refund. If a course is cancelled, full refunds will be issued.
ONGOING COURSE DESCRIPTIONS/TUITION/DATES use links on left of this page –
FEATURED COURSE: INTENSIVE ISO/ISM AUDITING MARATHON: 4 Certificates in 7 days! Maine Maritime Academy is the sole global provider of a uniquely comprehensive ILO/ISM Auditing program. The benefits of securing multiple certifications in one continuous session are less repetition, lower costs overall and easier scheduling. Options and Costs:
- ISO, ISM Lead Auditor(s), DPA and MLC Days 1-7 $3100 (4 C-ISO LA & ISM LA, DPA & MLC)
- ISO, ISM Lead Auditor(s) and DPA Days 3 -7 $2200 (3C- ISO LA & ISM LA & DPA only)
- ISM Lead Auditor & DPA Days 5-7 $1200 (2C- ISM LA & DPA only)
- MLC 2006 Owner Compliance Days 1 -2 $900( 1C- ILO/MLC only)
ONE-ON-ONE COURSES and PROCTORING at CASTINE:
- STCW Radar Re certification:.Private one-on-one instruction at $375.00 pp may be arranged according to instructor availability. Contact CE office to arrange.
- STCW Visual Communication (Flashing Light): Contact CE office to arrange for an appointment to take the test. Cost: $180.00 – individual program only.
- iNarte/FCC exams: Contact iNARTE via Exemplar Global by calling 888-722-2440 ext. 7823 (9-5 EDT) to pay their TEST fee of $65 . Continuing Education proctors iNarte/FCC exams. To arrange for a computer-based test at Castine please contact CE Office to schedule a proctor. External proctor Fees payable at the time of exam: Computer-Based 4 hr. Exam – $35 Computer-Based 8 hr. Exam – $50. Paper based tests may be available by special request and arranged with Exemplar Global directly. * Internal MMA proctor fee per testing session is $20 for Alumni, faculty, staff, full time students.
COURSES IN DEVELOPMENT: Please send us an email if you would like to be notified when courses are open for registration.
- STCW 2010 GAP COURSES required by 01.01.2017: Coming in Early 2016 the following GAP Courses will be offered: Leadership & Managerial Skills (LMS) Engine Room Resource Management (ERM) and Management of Electrical and Electronic Control Equipment (MEECE) All courses are delivered as blended learning beginning with knowledge content modules online followed by shorter classroom sessions for knowledge and skills assessment.
- BASIC Ice Navigation and Advanced Ice Navigation as required by the IMO Polar Code for Ships Operating in Polar Waters. The development of these courses is made possible by a grant from the Department of Homeland Security Office of University Programs in Partnership with the University of Alaska at Anchorage Arctic Domain Awareness Center of Excellence. https://adac.hsuniversityprograms.org/centers-of-excellence/adac/
SPECIALIZED CONTRACT COURSES may be arranged. Examples of specialized courses are: Inert Gas Systems Crude Oil Washing, (STCW/5 DAYS), Emergency Preparedness for Sea Trials Personnel (5 days) Personal Survival +HUET (2 days), Fishing vessel Drill instructor (1 day), ECDIS for Pilots APA guidelines non STCW (2 DAY). In addition, five Maine Maritime/Maine Emergency Management sponsored courses can be found in the DHS/FEMA States Training catalog. In 2017 an offering tailored to the US Arctic of Command Strategies and Tactics for Marine Emergencies will be conducted in Anchorage thanks to CE’s partner grant with University of Alaska Anchorage Contact Victoria for details.
- CONTINUING EDUCATION CONTACT INFORMATION: For additional information about existing courses, to suggest a future class, or to register and pay for a class and accommodations, please contact Victoria Blackwood or Liza Clark at (207) 326-2211 or by Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- **Accommodations: On Campus: When available, a limited number of private guest rooms w private bath, TV and wireless are located on the third floor of the Academy’s Leavitt Hall administration building. Pricing: Single rooms $65 per night, Double rooms either double bed or two twins $75 per night and suites $85 per night. Off Campus: In town Castine has three inns – The Manor Inn (open year round) Pentagoet Inn (May-Sept) and Castine Inn (May-Sept.) Additional motels are located in Bucksport approximately 30 minutes from campus on Route 1.
- **Meals: During the Academic year (late August – early May), visitors may pay by cash or credit card for meals through the line at the Academy dining hall located on the top floor of the Alfond Student Center (Breakfast $6, Lunch $12, Dinner $12) or enjoy a varied menu and longer hours at the Waypoint Snack Bar located on the floor directly below the dining hall. During school vacations the dining hall and Waypoint hours vary with the number of people on campus. At those times we recommend you contact us in advance to learn what is open AND plan to visit local restaurants which are all walking distance from our campus and primarily located in Castine’s small commercial district at the foot of Main St. near the waterfront.
- Continuing Education instructors come from MMA faculty, staff, alumni and professional partner organizations to provide regularly scheduled and specialized contract courses at Castine, online or at other locations. Course deliveries may held at face to face facilities, online or through blended learning. All courses award Continuing Education Units to document professional development. If CEU’s are not part of the original course certificate, separate CEU certificates are available by request. Course development or instructor positions: Employment at MMA