The mission of Maine Maritime Academy’s Department of Continuing Education is to support and enhance the careers of our alumni, current students, and colleagues working in fields related to the Academy’s major programs of study.
STCW 2010 GAP COURSES UPDATE 2- 10, 2016
The GAP LEADERSHIP & MANAGERIAL SKILLS course is OPEN FOR ENROLLMENT ! An initial high volume of registrations is expected. There may be a delay from the time you register to the time you receive confirmation and activation details. We will work through the registrations in the order received. Please contact the Continuing Education Office if you completed registration/payment but did not receive registration confirmation from us (not the e-market) after seven working days.
Companies may register and pay online for their employees. Invoices/Purchase orders will delay registration until payment is received. Complete one registration and payment form for each individual. Do not use corporate or shipboard generic emails. Only personal emails are eligible for activation. KEEP YOUR RECEIPT NUMBER. You will need it to register for the one day assessment at Castine after you complete the online modules. READY TO BEGIN?
Click this Link: https://commerce.cashnet.com/mmaempay?itemcode=EM-CEDGAPLMS
View an introductory video about using the Canvas by Instructure learning management system from MMA’s instructional designer Jim: https://youtu.be/0G2yqAem720 NOTE: the more complex features discussed apply only to academic courses not GAP certificate courses.
Completion of ALL online modules is a prerequisite for assessment day registration. The system will prompt you to contact MMA Continuing Education to select a live session date to complete the course at Castine. After we confirm your assessment date:
LODGING & MEALS if desired will be available on campus in most cases. Contact MMA Conferences: Rachael Iannoli at (207) 326 2283 to make a room reservation M-F 0800-1600 EST. F. If the Academy is fully booked, keep in mind this is a rural area where most hotels are seasonal -None provide shuttle service to MMA but The Manor Inn in Castine (open mid March – December) as well as the Pentagoet Inn and Castine Inn (May-October) are less than a 15 minute walk to the campus. The nearest year round motels are located in Bucksport 30 minutes from MMA/Castine. Food is available using cash or a credit card in our dining hall or Waypoint Snack Bar as available and at several local restaurants within walking distance from the Campus.
The nearest airport is Bangor International BGR one hour away. Taxis and rental cars are available. Parking passes will be issued on your arrival by the Continuing Education office or Conferences if you are booking a room.
GAP courses by title, anticipated approval dates, and total cost are:
• Leadership and Managerial skills (OPEN FOR REGISTRATION) tuition $1200
• Engine Room Resource Management (mid-late February) tuition $1100
• Management of Electrical & Electronic Control Equipment (mid-late February) $1050
Courses will easily be completed before the late December 2016 USCG submission deadline . There is no limit to the number of students able to be online at one time and modules are self- paced . Progression through the courses includes passing a quiz at the end of each module before moving to the next module. In some cases, a single email exchange with the instructor is required in lieu of a quiz. Instructors will also be available by email to answer content questions within 24 -48 hrs.
- Merchant Mariner license holders must contact the US Coast Guard directly for particulars concerning their licenses upgrade or re-certification questions: Call the National Maritime Center at 1-888-427-5662 or visit online at Merchant Mariner Licensing and Documentation
Registration, Tuition and Refund Policy: At the time of Course registration payment in full for tuition is required. Payment methods: credit card, ACH, Wire payments must be pre-approved and will incur an added minimum $30 wire transfer fee. Cancellation fees/refund Prior to course start date: 30 days+ 100% refund, 29-15 days 50%, 14 days or fewer 0% refund. If a course is cancelled, full refunds will be issued.
FEATURED COURSE: INTENSIVE ISO/ISM AUDITING MARATHON: 4 Certificates in 7 days! Maine Maritime Academy is the sole global provider of a uniquely comprehensive ILO/ISM Auditing program. The benefits of securing multiple certifications in one continuous session are: less repetition, lower costs overall and easier scheduling. Options and Costs:
- ISO, ISM Lead Auditor(s), DPA and MLC Days 1-7 $3100 (4 C-ISO LA & ISM LA, DPA & MLC)
- ISO, ISM Lead Auditor(s) and DPA Days 3 -7 $2200 (3C- ISO LA & ISM LA & DPA only)
- ISM Lead Auditor & DPA Days 5-7 $1200 (2C- ISM LA & DPA only)
- MLC 2006 Owner Compliance Days 1 -2 $900( 1C- ILO/MLC only)
ONE-ON-ONE COURSES and PROCTORING at CASTINE:
- STCW Radar Re certification:.Private one-on-one instruction at $375.00 pp may be arranged according to instructor availability. Contact CE office.
- STCW Visual Communication (Flashing Light): Contact CE office to arrange for an appointment to take the test. Cost: $180.00 – individual program only.
- iNarte/FCC exams: Contact iNARTE via Exemplar Global by calling 888-722-2440 ext. 7823 (9-5 EDT) to pay their TEST fee . Continuing Education proctors iNarte/FCC exams. To arrange for a computer-based test at Castine please contact CE Office to schedule a proctor. External proctor Fees payable at the time of exam: Computer-Based 4 hr. Exam – $35 Computer-Based 8 hr. Exam – $50. Paper based tests may be available by special request and arranged with Exemplar Global directly. * Internal MMA proctor fee per testing session is $20 for Alumni, faculty, staff, full time students.
COURSES IN DEVELOPMENT: Please send us an email if you would like to be notified when courses are open for registration.
- BASIC Ice Navigation and Advanced Ice Navigation as required by the IMO Polar Code for Ships Operating in Polar Waters. The development of these courses is made possible by a grant from the Department of Homeland Security Office of University Programs in Partnership with the University of Alaska at Anchorage Arctic Domain Awareness Center of Excellence. https://adac.hsuniversityprograms.org/centers-of-excellence/adac/
CONTRACT COURSES by arrangement Examples of specialized courses are: Inert Gas Systems Crude Oil Washing, (STCW/5 DAYS), Emergency Preparedness for Sea Trials Personnel (5 days) Personal Survival +HUET (2 days), Fishing vessel Drill instructor (1 day), ECDIS for Pilots APA guidelines non STCW (2 DAY). Maine Maritime/Maine Emergency Management sponsored courses can be found in the DHS/FEMA States Training catalog. In 2017 an offering tailored to the US Arctic of Command Strategies and Tactics for Marine Emergencies will be conducted in Anchorage thanks to our DHS/OUP partner grant with the Arctic Domain Awareness Center at University of Alaska Anchorage.
- CONTINUING EDUCATION CONTACT INFORMATION: For additional information about existing courses, to suggest a future class, or to register and pay for a class and accommodations, please contact Victoria Blackwood or Liza Clark at (207) 326-2211 or by Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- **Accommodations: On Campus: limited number of private guest rooms w private bath, TV and wireless on Leavitt Hall administration building 3rd floor. Off Campus: In town three inns – The Manor Inn (open year round) Pentagoet Inn (May-Sept) and Castine Inn (May-Sept.) Several Motels are in Bucksport 30 minutes from campus on Route 1.
- **Meals: Academic year (late August – early May), pay cash/credit card at the Academy dining hall top floor the Alfond Student Center (Breakfast $6, Lunch $12, Dinner $12) Longer hours at the Waypoint Snack Bar directly below dining hall. During school vacations dining hall and Waypoint hours determined by number of people on campus. Local restaurants walking distance from campus at Castine commercial district near waterfront.
- Continuing Education instructors come from MMA faculty, staff, alumni and professional partner organizations to provide regularly scheduled and specialized contract courses at Castine, online or at other locations. Course deliveries may held at face to face facilities, online or through blended learning. All courses award Continuing Education Units to document professional development. If CEU’s are not part of the original course certificate, separate CEU certificates are available by request. Course development or instructor positions: Employment at MMA