The mission of Maine Maritime Academy’s Department of Continuing Education is to support and enhance the careers of our alumni, current students, and colleagues working in fields related to the Academy’s major programs of study.
STCW 2010 GAP COURSES UPDATE 2- 04 – 2016
USCG began their review of our Leadership and Managerial Skills course three weeks ago with ERM and MEECE next in line . We anticipate the courses will be accepted as submitted so start dates should not be far from the original plan. Send firstname.lastname@example.org an email to be added to our pre-registration list. Corporate training coordinators may join the list to register and pay for employee course(s). They must enter employee personal emails as part of the registration page.
GAP courses by title, anticipated approval dates, and total cost are:
• Leadership and Managerial skills (early -mid February) tuition $1200
• Engine Room Resource Management (mid-late February) tuition $1100
• Management of Electrical & Electronic Control Equipment (early –mid March) tuition $1050
WHEN each course is approved, the entire list of pre-registrants will receive online links to:
• Register online providing personal email, address, phone/info required by USCG- mariner #/ graduation year if alumni
• Pay online (credit card or ACH)
• View an introductory video about using the Canvas by Instructure learning management system from MMA’s instructional designer Jim/ Here it is now: [ https://youtu.be/0G2yqAem720 ]https://youtu.be/0G2yqAem720 (NOTE: the more complex features discussed apply only to academic courses not GAP certificate courses.)
Once we receive payment (24 -72 hours later due to MMA office hours) we will send the mariner a unique log in and password linked to your personal email. PLEASE BE SURE WE HAVE YOUR PERSONAL EMAIL . Shared shipboard or training coordinator emails may not receive passwords.
Courses will easily be completed before the late December 2016 USCG submission deadline . There is no limit to the number of students able to be online at one time and modules are self- paced . Progression through the courses includes passing a quiz at the end of each module before moving to the next module and in some cases, an occasional email exchange with the instructor is required. Instructors will also be available by email to answer content questions within 24 -48 hrs.
When all online sections are completed, the system will prompt you to contact MMA Continuing Education to select a live session date to complete the course assessment at Castine. Live assessments are included in tuition. We will schedule assessments every weekend and add weekdays when instructor and lab use schedules allow. Once undergraduates leave in early May, we will offer the assessments continually.
Lodging and meals on campus will be available in most cases. Rooms are $75 – $100 per night in Leavitt Hall, and $65 for a dorm room– advance reservations required – also payable with credit card. Meals are $6/$12/$12 for B/L/D in our dining hall or Waypoint Snack Bar paid by cash or credit card at the time of purchase.
We look forward to your participation and thank you for your patience.
- Merchant Mariner license holders must contact the US Coast Guard directly for particulars concerning their licenses upgrade or re-certification questions: Call the National Maritime Center at 1-888-427-5662 or visit online at Merchant Mariner Licensing and Documentation
Registration, Tuition and *Accommodations: At the time of Course registration payments in full for tuition and on-campus accommodations (if desired) are required. Payment methods: credit card, cash or check. Wire payments must be pre-approved and will incur an added minimum $30 wire transfer fee. Cancellation fees/refund Prior to course start date: 30 days+ 100% refund, 29-15 days 50%, 14 days or fewer 0% refund. If a course is cancelled, full refunds will be issued.
ONGOING COURSE DESCRIPTIONS/TUITION/DATES use links on left of this page –
FEATURED COURSE: INTENSIVE ISO/ISM AUDITING MARATHON: 4 Certificates in 7 days! Maine Maritime Academy is the sole global provider of a uniquely comprehensive ILO/ISM Auditing program. The benefits of securing multiple certifications in one continuous session are: less repetition, lower costs overall and easier scheduling. Options and Costs:
- ISO, ISM Lead Auditor(s), DPA and MLC Days 1-7 $3100 (4 C-ISO LA & ISM LA, DPA & MLC)
- ISO, ISM Lead Auditor(s) and DPA Days 3 -7 $2200 (3C- ISO LA & ISM LA & DPA only)
- ISM Lead Auditor & DPA Days 5-7 $1200 (2C- ISM LA & DPA only)
- MLC 2006 Owner Compliance Days 1 -2 $900( 1C- ILO/MLC only)
ONE-ON-ONE COURSES and PROCTORING at CASTINE:
- STCW Radar Re certification:.Private one-on-one instruction at $375.00 pp may be arranged according to instructor availability. Contact CE office.
- STCW Visual Communication (Flashing Light): Contact CE office to arrange for an appointment to take the test. Cost: $180.00 – individual program only.
- iNarte/FCC exams: Contact iNARTE via Exemplar Global by calling 888-722-2440 ext. 7823 (9-5 EDT) to pay their TEST fee . Continuing Education proctors iNarte/FCC exams. To arrange for a computer-based test at Castine please contact CE Office to schedule a proctor. External proctor Fees payable at the time of exam: Computer-Based 4 hr. Exam – $35 Computer-Based 8 hr. Exam – $50. Paper based tests may be available by special request and arranged with Exemplar Global directly. * Internal MMA proctor fee per testing session is $20 for Alumni, faculty, staff, full time students.
COURSES IN DEVELOPMENT: Please send us an email if you would like to be notified when courses are open for registration.
- BASIC Ice Navigation and Advanced Ice Navigation as required by the IMO Polar Code for Ships Operating in Polar Waters. The development of these courses is made possible by a grant from the Department of Homeland Security Office of University Programs in Partnership with the University of Alaska at Anchorage Arctic Domain Awareness Center of Excellence. https://adac.hsuniversityprograms.org/centers-of-excellence/adac/
CONTRACT COURSES by arrangement Examples of specialized courses are: Inert Gas Systems Crude Oil Washing, (STCW/5 DAYS), Emergency Preparedness for Sea Trials Personnel (5 days) Personal Survival +HUET (2 days), Fishing vessel Drill instructor (1 day), ECDIS for Pilots APA guidelines non STCW (2 DAY). Maine Maritime/Maine Emergency Management sponsored courses can be found in the DHS/FEMA States Training catalog. In 2017 an offering tailored to the US Arctic of Command Strategies and Tactics for Marine Emergencies will be conducted in Anchorage thanks to our DHS/OUP partner grant with the Arctic Domain Awareness Center at University of Alaska Anchorage.
- CONTINUING EDUCATION CONTACT INFORMATION: For additional information about existing courses, to suggest a future class, or to register and pay for a class and accommodations, please contact Victoria Blackwood or Liza Clark at (207) 326-2211 or by Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- **Accommodations: On Campus: limited number of private guest rooms w private bath, TV and wireless on Leavitt Hall administration building 3rd floor. Off Campus: In town three inns – The Manor Inn (open year round) Pentagoet Inn (May-Sept) and Castine Inn (May-Sept.) Several Motels are in Bucksport 30 minutes from campus on Route 1.
- **Meals: Academic year (late August – early May), pay cash/credit card at the Academy dining hall top floor the Alfond Student Center (Breakfast $6, Lunch $12, Dinner $12) Longer hours at the Waypoint Snack Bar directly below dining hall. During school vacations dining hall and Waypoint hours determined by number of people on campus. Local restaurants walking distance from campus at Castine commercial district near waterfront.
- Continuing Education instructors come from MMA faculty, staff, alumni and professional partner organizations to provide regularly scheduled and specialized contract courses at Castine, online or at other locations. Course deliveries may held at face to face facilities, online or through blended learning. All courses award Continuing Education Units to document professional development. If CEU’s are not part of the original course certificate, separate CEU certificates are available by request. Course development or instructor positions: Employment at MMA