Trustee Scholarship for Diversity
The Trustee Scholarship for Diversity is a merit scholarship established in 2015 to address the Academy’s strategic objective to demonstrate a commitment to an inclusive community by improving the gender balance and enhancing student exposure to cultural diversity. Details of the scholarship include:
- $10,0000 annually
- Awarded to 5 first-year students from underrepresented populations at MMA: currently, underrepresented populations include women, African Americans, Asian-Americans, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans, and Pacific Islanders.
- Preference given to students who have earned at least a 3.3 high school grade point average and have no final grade below a C in any course.
- MMA merit scholarships are renewable for 8-10 consecutive semesters (depending on major), based on maintaining a minimum GPA of 3.0 after the first year, 3.1 after the second year, and 3.3 after the third year and remaining in good standing in terms of conduct.
- If a student also was awarded a Presidential or Dean’s Scholarship, the Trustee Scholarship will be reduced by the amount of the Presidential or Dean’s Scholarship.
To be considered for this scholarship a student must:
- Be a recent high school graduate who is a first-time undergraduate.
- Be a good citizen.
- Submit the scholarship application and 300 word essay describing the student’s history of collaborative spirit, community service, and interest in Maine Maritime Academy by February 1. NCAA Division III bylaws prohibit Maine Maritime Academy from considering athletic information including, but not limited to, accomplishments, leadership, and participation (at the youth, high school, club or collegiate level), in the process of awarding scholarships to its students. The inclusion of athletics information in your scholarship application materials will exclude you from consideration for any merit aid.
- Complete an application for general undergraduate admission to MMA by March 1.
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by April 1.
To apply for this scholarship, please confirm that you meet the criteria above and submit your application and essay by February 1st.